I wanted to explain why the sleep hygiene portion of my routine is so important. Both undersleep and oversleep can be hugely problematic.
- Well, this is a great way to induce mania.
- And it is a data point OF mania.
- Is it cause or effect?
- It’s clear to me that when I start to get depressed – start to float down into a semi-depressed state – that I want to sleep more.
- But is the opposite also true? When I let myself oversleep, does it induce some of the features of depression? I think, yes.
- But it is a balancing act. Yesterday I gave myself the day off after working for some 10 days straight, including Presidents Day weekend. During the day I took a nap – it was delicious and I felt I had caught up on any sleep deficit. Then later in the day, I felt calmer and more peaceful than ever.